Skip to main content

Making a family the easy way: Mjengo stories

 So yesterday during lunch break at the kibandasky, I met an interesting character, a classic hooch hound. People at the mjengo call him Kalewa because of his drinking prowess. He appears to be in his mid-40s.

“Aaah, Redia, leo umekujia mashakura?” He shouted when he saw me approaching. By the way my name changed from Lydia to Redia the moment I stepped in Ol Ng’arua and my staple food is now mashakura. (If you know you know.)

“Eeee,

so what are we eating today?” I ask.

“The usual.”

“The usual? Okay then. Mathe, weka kawaida.” I say to Mama Chakula as I sit next to Kalewa.

Usually every lunch time at the kibandasky, we like to catch up about society, politics and football and other ‘mjengo-like’ topics. I have seen some ‘fat’ comments on my latest pictures but I can’t help missing lunch time interactions with people. And to sit in a kibanda and not buy something is an abuse to Mama Chakula so here we are.

“I haven’t eaten since yesterday. The day this kibanda closes is the day I’ll die of hunger.” Kalewa starts.

“Why? Didn’t wifey cook something, ama you arrived home high as usual?” I ask.

Everyone at the kibandasky broke into hysterical laughter. I didn’t get it. Well, I know am funny and all but at this point I was sure I hadn’t said anything that funny.

“Which wife?”

“Atoe wapi?”

“Huyu akiwa na wife mimi nitaokoka.”

The mockery went on and on for a few minutes as people ate their mashakura. Initially I couldn’t stand it when people talk with their mouths full but that’s a story for another day. One thing about Kalewa though, he wouldn’t let the mockery and criticisms get to him. He always had a way of countering all attacks.

Image: HANNIE PETRA
“You guys are laughing but I don’t see how different we are. Can someone please explain?”

“Look Kalewa, you’re over forty, no wife, no kids, no house and you still live with your parents.” How dare you compare yourself with us?” One mechanic asked.

“Here is the thing,” Kalewa responded. “You and I are almost age mates, I agree. You have a wife and three kids in high school; no problem. What you don’t know about me is that I have a plan.”


“Unleash it, we’re listening.”

“I have a shamba,” He explains. “Building should take me less than a year that is if I don’t lose this job. With this height and looks, and with all the problems women are facing, I’ll get a single mama with three kids- that will make me a father automatically.  And we’ll be more or less the same. We can bet on this.”

Everyone burst into laughter again. That was quite an idea, but if only building a family was easy.


Read more here

Comments

Post a Comment

Read our popular posts here

Wamaku on the Beach: The foreman's Vacation

You know those construction workers who are ever obsessed with their work and making them use their leave days is like punishing them? Yeah, Wamaku is one of them. He says he doesn't need the days and that if he needs to see his family, mamaa  and the kids will always come over. The project manager however decided that this year people will be working shifts during the Christmas holiday unike last year when every section worked in full. So Wamaku had to leave someone else in charge for the first two weeks of December and work the last two. It was either one or the other and he had to pick the days with the most overtime. Brilliant, right? Anyway, from the pictures on his statuses, he has been enjoying Mbezi beach. Although he takes the kind of photos that only 50+ year olds take. Or -4 year olds. Wait, now that I think about it, my 3 year old cousin takes better pictures. In his pictures, it looks he is trying to look like he is not taking the pictures while taking the pictures so

The foreman's predicament; A story of attempted infidelity and getting caught

Wamaku came to work with strange spots on his face and part of his neck. He was also in a  very bad mood. Anyone who knows him knows that if someone "steps in his way" on such a day, they will go home. Literally. His form of punishment for a long time has been sending people on unpaid leave. Anyone who has worked in construction for a while knows that is better than being fired. He is a thoughtful man, some say.  Source: Nation media Word on the street is that Wamaku's wife found messages of him and the new earthworks intern, Julia. He came home drunk and got out his phone to inform her that he had arrived. They had been together that evening and as they parted ways, she had told him to text him when he gets home safe- what he was doing.  His wife had heard someone stumble over the kid's toys in the verandah and she had woken up to go see. It was her lovely husband coming back from a drinking spree. He was a little tipsy and he was trying to text someone. She walked t

Lessons from the Mjengo to embrace in 2024: Happy New Year

  Working in the construction field AKA mjengo is like attending the world's most practical school of life lessons. First and foremost, it teaches the undeniable power of teamwork. Trying to build something substantial without a crew is like attempting to juggle bricks—it might work for a second, but eventually, you'll need a hand. As we dive into 2024, we must keep embracing the spirit of teamwork and togetherness. Construction sites are like giant, real-life LEGO projects where everyone has a specific role, from the architect who dreams up the design to the kagirl who cleans offices and fetches tea but somehow becomes the motivational cornerstone of the team. You quickly learn that collaboration isn't just a buzzword; it's the glue holding those bricks (and your sanity) together. Moreover, construction work is a masterclass in adaptability and creative problem-solving. You start your day with a blueprint, a plan etched in stone (well, paper), but the moment you step